Before you read further, I highly recommend you first get Best of Quora 2010-2012 PDF.
Quora connects you to everything you want to know about. Quora aims to be the easiest place to write new content and share content from the web. Quora organizes people and their interests so you can find, collect and share the information most valuable to you.
When you want to know more about something, Quora delivers you answers and content from people who share your interests and people who have first-hand knowledge — like real doctors, economists, screenwriters, police officers, and military veterans. On Quora, it’s easy to create a personalized homepage of everything you want to know about by following topics, questions, people and boards.
Quora has compiled a collection of over one hundred(132 to be precise) of the best answers from the top writers on Quora. The content in “Best of Quora 2010-2012” book was selected by Marc Bodnick, John Clover, Kat Li, Alecia Morgan, and Alex Wu from answers written on Quora between 2010 and 2012.
The following are the contents of the book.
- Yoav Perry’s answer to Food: Why is it safe to eat the mold in Bleu Cheese?
- Brian Lee’s answer to Food Industry: How do supermarkets dispose of expired food?
- Jonas M Luster’s answer to Cooking: If there were ten commandments in cooking what would they be?
- Madeline Puckette’s answer to Wine: Why do American winemakers produce mostly varietals, while French winemakers produce blends?
- Andrew Roberts’s answer to Food: Why are the chocolate chips in chocolate chip ice cream generally “chocolate-flavored chips”?
- Jae Won Joh’s answer to Medical School: What is one thing that you regret learning in medical school?
- Joshua Engel’s answer to Education: Are general requirements in college a waste of time?
- Melinda T. Owens’s answer to Choosing Colleges: How does a star engineering high school senior choose among MIT, Caltech, Stanford and Harvard?
- Wael Al-Sallami’s answer to Iraq: Is Iraq a safer place now compared to what it was like during Saddam Hussein’s regime?
- Anon User’s answer to Misogyny: Is Islam misogynistic?
- Kaiser Kuo’s answer to Chinese Culture: Do the Chinese people currently consider Mao Zedong to be evil or a hero?
- Mark Rowswell’s answer to Learning Chinese: Why do so many Chinese learners seem to hate Dashan (Mark Rowswell)?
- Navin Kabra’s answer to Indian Diaspora: How do Indians feel when they go back to live in India after living in US for 5+ years?
- Adrianna Tan’s answer to Travel and Tourism in India: Is it safe for a single American woman to travel in India?
- Yair Livne’s answer to Investing: If developing countries are growing faster than developed countries, why wouldn’t you invest most of your money there?
- Ryan Romanchuk’s answer to North Korea: What is it like to visit North Korea?
- Domhnall O’Huigin’s answer to Irish People: What are some common stereotypes about Irish people that are largely untrue?
- Patrick Collison’s answer to Irish People: Do Irish immigrants to the Bay Area feel guilty for living in such an amazing place?
- Ryan Lackey’s answer to 99 Problems (2004 song): How valid is the implied legal advice in Jay-Z’s “99 Problems”?
- Ani Ravi’s answer to Iron Man (2008 movie): In the movie Iron Man, could investors sue Tony Stark for acting against the interest of the shareholders?
- Ti Zhao’s answer to China: Is it true that in China, you can hire someone to serve your prison sentence?
- Antone Johnson’s answer to Attorneys: Why are lawyers so expensive even with the excess supply of lawyers?
- Lee Semel’s answer to Human Behavior: What are some stupid things that smart people do?
- Kat Li’s answer to Dating and Relationships: What are the disadvantages of dating highly intelligent men?
- Alison Stone’s answer to Love: How do you know if you’ve found “the one”?
- Dave Cheng’s answer to Dating and Relationships: How do I convince my girlfriend (possibly future wife) that a diamond engagement ring is a waste of money?
- Lex Cooke’s answer to Dating and Relationships: How do boys feel about girls who don’t expend much effort on appearances (e.g., clothes, makeup)?
- Brandon Gregg’s answer to Security: What should you do if you suspect a car has been following you?
- Alecia Li Morgan’s answer to Motherhood: What is some advice every new mother should know?
- Jimmy Wales’s answer to Parenting: My kids (8 and 11) have started learning chess. Is it a good idea to let them beat me sometimes to encourage them?
- Matt Dotson’s answer to Economics: How would you explain to a five-year-old that higher taxes on the rich don’t fix everything?
- Andy Johns’s answer to Bereavement and Mourning: When should someone be finished grieving?
- Matthew Manning’s answer to Tips and Hacks for Everyday Life: How can you overcome your envy of people who are your age but are far more successful than you?
- Cristina Hartmann’s answer to Attraction (interpersonal): What book should I read to make girls think I’m smart in a hot way?
- Stephanie Vardavas’s answer to Jane Austen (author): Which Jane Austen heroine most embodies feminist principles?
- Shan Kothari’s answer to Jane Austen (author): What is so great about Jane Austen?
- Danielle Maurer’s answer to Harry Potter Book 5: Order of the Phoenix: Toward the end of Harry Potter Book 5: Order of the Phoenix, why don’t the kids just gang up on and overpower Umbridge?
- Tyler Borchers’s answer to The Hunger Games (2008 book): Is The Hunger Games a pro-girl / pro-woman story, the way Brave is?
- Monika Kothari’s answer to The Hunger Games (book trilogy & creative franchise): Does race or ethnicity play a role in The Hunger Games series? If so, how?
- Aaron Ellis’s answer to Jay-Z: What is so great about Jay-Z?
- Josh Siegle’s answer to Music: Is it possible at this stage of human culture to create a new genre of music?
- Mark Rogowsky’s answer to Mobile Phones: Why don’t cell phones work at music festivals?
- Jess Lin’s answer to Violins: How do you know when to switch positions on the violin?
- Daniel Rosenthal’s answer to U2 (band): Why is U2 so popular?
Professions & Careers
- Michael Janke’s answer to Snipers: What is it like to be a sniper?
- Tim Dees’s answer to Law Enforcement and the Police: What have you learned as a police officer about life and society that most people don’t know or underestimate?
- Justin Freeman’s answer to Law Enforcement and the Police: What’s the best way to escape the police in a high-speed car chase?
- Michael Shinzaki’s answer to Poker: What is it like to earn a living through poker?
- Lou Davis’s answer to Doctors: Why does it seem most doctors are not compassionate?
- Yank Rutherford’s answer to Aircraft Carriers: What is it like to be the commanding officer of an Aircraft Carrier?
- Michael Forrest Jones’s answer to Hotels: How do good hotels always feel so clean and fresh?
- Anon User’s answer to Venture Capital: What is the worst part of being a VC?
- Anon User’s answer to Airlines: What are some things that airline pilots won’t tell you?
- Anon User’s answer to Recreational Drugs: What’s it like to be a drug dealer?
- Matan Shelomi’s answer to Insects: If you injure a bug, should you kill it or let it live and not die?
- Brad Porteus’s answer to Black Widow: What does it feel like to be bitten by a black widow spider?
- Marc Srour’s answer to Spiders: How does a spider decide where to put up its web?
- Jay Wacker’s answer to Higgs Boson Discovery and Announcement (July 2012): If I want to look smart, what do I need to know about the Higgs Boson discovery?
- Alia Caldwell’s answer to The Universe: How has our understanding of the universe changed in the last 100 years?
- Oliver Starr’s answer to Animal Behavior (Ethology): Would a lone adult wolf be able to take down an athletic adult human?
- Nan Waldman’s answer to Mind Hacks: Does bouncing your leg improve cognition?
- Bradley Voytek’s answer to Neuroscience: What is the neurological basis of curiosity?
- Paul King’s answer to Life: Why do living things die?
- Ben Golub’s answer to Economics: What are the economics of lying?
- Anon User’s answer to Mathematics: What is it like to have an understanding of very advanced mathematics?
- Mark Hughes’s answer to Superheroes: Given our current technology and with the proper training, would it be possible for someone to become Batman?
- Mac Booker’s answer to The Dark Knight (2008 movie): In The Dark Knight, how did the Joker really get his scars?
- Marcus Geduld’s answer to Actors and Actresses: How do actors’ spouses feel about love scenes in film and TV?
- Oren Jacob’s answer to Pixar Animation Studios: Did Pixar accidentally delete Toy Story 2 during production?
- JJ Abrams’s answer to Movie Making: How do directors conceive and think through monster and action scenes?
- Richard Stern’s answer to The Godfather, Part II (1974 movie): Why does one of the goons trying to kill Frank Pentangelli in the bar say “Michael Corleone says hello”?
- Neville Fogarty’s answer to Jeopardy! (TV game show): What is it like to be a contestant on Jeopardy?
- Sean Hood’s answer to Screenwriting: How do screenwriters feel about bad reviews, in particular claims of formulaic writing?
- Ashton Kutcher’s answer to Movie Making: What determines whether an actor is cast in a part in Hollywood?
- Jennifer Miller’s answer to U.S. Presidential Elections: How early do politicians and presidential political campaigns begin quietly promising/planning cabinet seats and vice president positions?
- Peter Marquez’s answer to Air Force One: What’s it like to fly on Air Force One?
- David Hood’s answer to 1968 U.S. Presidential Election: What if Richard Nixon had won the 1960 Presidential election? How would history have been different?
- Craig Montuori’s answer to U.S. Immigration: Should highly skilled international students (including Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate) be given Green Cards?
- Paul Ryan’s answer to Economics: What are the chances of a debt crisis on the scale of Greece hitting the United States?
- Tommy Winfrey’s answer to Murder: What does it feel like to murder someone?
- James Houston’s answer to San Quentin State Prison: Do inmates in San Quentin have access to computers and the Internet? What kind of access?
- Kenyatta Leal’s answer to Incarceration: What does the first day of a 5+ year prison sentence feel like?
- David Monroe’s answer to Incarceration: Do you remember when the gavel dropped in court with the verdict and what that felt like at that moment? Flash forward to today looking back on that moment — how have you changed your life behind bars?
- Peter Cipollone’s answer to Olympic Games: What is it like to be an Olympic athlete after winning (or not winning) the Olympics?
- Carly Geehr’s answer to Olympic Games: Do Olympic or competitive swimmers ever pee in the pool?
- Daryl Morey’s answer to 2012-13 NBA Season: Why is Jeremy Lin so turnover-prone and how can he fix this?
- Drew Housman’s answer to Jeremy Lin: What’s it like to play on the same basketball team as Jeremy Lin?
- Hung Lee’s answer to UEFA Euro 2012: What makes the Spanish national football team so dominant right now?
- John DeMarchi’s answer to NFL: How effective would sumo wrestlers be as NFL linemen?
- Anon User’s answer to Professional Wrestling: Is wrestling fake?
- Paul DeJoe’s answer to Startups: What does it feel like to be the CEO of a start-up?
- Steve Case’s answer to 1995-2000 Dot-Com Bubble: What factors led to the bursting of the Internet bubble of the late 1990s?
- Kevin Systrom’s answer to Instagram: What is the genesis of Instagram?
- David Cole’s answer to Video Games: Am I missing out by not playing any video or console games?
- Ramzi Amri’s answer to Steve Jobs: Why did Steve Jobs choose not to effectively treat his cancer?
- Tim Smith’s answer to Steve Jobs: What are the best stories about people randomly meeting Steve Jobs?
- Peter Clark’s answer to Silicon Valley Company Culture: Which of the Hogwarts Houses does each of the Gang of Four companies correspond to?
- Anne K. Halsall’s answer to Physical Appearance: What does it feel like to be an unattractive woman?
- Gayle Laakmann McDowell’s answer to Pick-Up Artists: Why are women so negative about the “picking up women” school of thought?
- Shannon Larson’s answer to Attractiveness and Attractive People: As a young woman, how can I shake the feeling that being good-looking is the primary thing that males will acknowledge and praise my existence for?
- Rebekah Cox’s answer to Women in Technology: What is it like to be a woman working in the tech industry?
- Nora Mullaney’s answer to Women in Technology: What advice would seasoned women in tech give to younger girls deciding to make a tech career for themselves?
The United States
- Ashton Lee’s answer to 9/11: What did it feel like to be inside the World Trade Center at the time of the 9/11 attacks?
- Marq Hwang’s answer to Asian Americans: What does it mean to be Asian American?
- Matt Schiavenza’s answer to New York City: Why is NYC so great?
- Max Cohen’s answer to Travel and Visiting in New York City: What are good tips for hailing a taxi in Manhattan?
- Laszlo B. Tamas’s answer to Lincoln Assassination: How likely would Abraham Lincoln be to survive his wounds today?
- Chris O’Regan’s answer to RMS Titanic (ship): How could the sinking of the Titanic have been prevented?
- Anon User’s answer to Hipsters: What do hipsters know that I don’t know?
- Ben Newman’s answer to Burning Man: What facts about Burning Man do virgin burners not believe until they go?
- Gary Teal’s answer to American Culture: Why does the USA insist on doing things differently than the majority of other developed nations?
- Ambra Nykol Benjamin’s answer to Recruiting: What do recruiters look for in a resume at first glance?
- Ian McAllister’s answer to Product Management: What distinguishes the top 1% of product managers from the top 10%?
- Kah Keng Tay’s answer to Productivity: How can you increase your productivity on side projects at the end of the day when you’re tired from work/college?
- Michael O. Church’s answer to Management: How do you fire an employee that just isn’t good enough?
- Michael Wolfe’s answer to Business: What are telltale signs that you’re working at a “sinking ship” company?
- Edmond Lau’s answer to Career Advice: How do you know when it’s time to leave your current company and move on?
- Faisal Abid’s answer to Trains (transportation service): What is it like to be in a train crash?
- Flemming Funch’s answer to Scientology: What is it like to leave the Church of Scientology?
- Anon User’s answer to Kidnapping and Ransom: What is it like to be kidnapped?
- Dan Holliday’s answer to Drug Addiction: What does it feel like to be addicted to drugs?
- Karen Opas’s answer to Alcoholism: What is it like to be an alcoholic?
- Alex K. Chen’s answer to Asperger Syndrome: What does it feel like to have Asperger’s Syndrome?
- Laura Copeland’s answer to Asperger Syndrome: What is it like to be in a relationship with someone who has Asperger’s?
- John Clover’s answer to Family and Families: What does it feel like to have your sibling die?
- John H. Hillman, V’s answer to Wealthy People and Families: What’s it like to come from a billion-dollar family?
- Anon User’s answer to Intelligence: What does it feel like to be stupid?
- Anon User’s answer to What Does It Feel Like to X?: What does it feel like to be both very physically beautiful and very academically intelligent?
- Anon User’s answer to Attraction (interpersonal): What does it feel like to be unattractive and desired by none?
- Anon User’s answer to Sex: What’s it like to pay for sex on a regular basis?
- Anon User’s answer to Weddings: What does it feel like to cancel your wedding?
- Drew Young Shin’s answer to Heroism: What is the most heroic thing you have ever done?
Best of Quora 2010-2012